Seven years ago today, Southbridge Fellowship launched. I still remember preaching that first message entitled: My God is So Big.
I talked about some miraculous things that God had done in my own life and my wife’s life, and that we expected to see Him do even more in the days to come. I asked the audience, “If you could ask God to do one thing and you knew that He would, what would it be?” I don’t know what every person wrote down that day, but I do know that we have seen God do amazing things since March 4th, 2007.
As I reflect on the past seven years at Southbridge, I can’t help but think about some of the miracles we have witnessed. There are simple ones, like God’s financial provision for a brand new church. Then there are more complex miracles like what we have seen Him do in reconciling marriages. I am overwhelmed with blessing as I reflect on the relationships that have been formed for me personally, and the relationships I see other people experience as they care for each other and sharpen one another.
Just the other day, I spoke to someone going through a difficult time and they shared with me how they have been loved by God’s people at Southbridge. That makes my heart rejoice. One thing that will always put me in awe is when God brings a person from without hope and without God to the point of salvation. We have seen many people cross the line of faith and begin a relationship with Jesus Christ. It blows my mind every time because it is so supernatural.
I am most thankful for the lives that have been changed. For many, that has meant salvation. For others, it has meant dramatic steps in their marriage or freedom from an addiction, but for all of us it has meant knowing Jesus Christ better today than we did when we began. Lord willing, every person who has been touched by the vision that gave birth to Southbridge Fellowship is now closer to God as a result.
Today, we are at a new stage. We have moved beyond the infant stage and our dreams have developed but they are still the same dreams.
- We want to see a city transformed.
- We dream of being that city on a hill that Jesus spoke of in Matthew 5.
- We believe God does that by changing us from the inside out.
- We believe that God does that one person at a time.
- We believe each one of us is responsible to reach the people God has placed in our lives. We celebrate when it happens.
- We beg God to help us see people the way He does.
- We want to connect people to Jesus for life change and honestly believe He can do it because our God is So Big, So Strong and So Mighty. There is Nothing Our God Cannot Do!
Who knows what the next seven years have in store for us. If you could ask God to do one thing today, what would it be? And, do you believe He is big enough to do it?